Welcome to the Users PostGIS Wiki!
Everybody is welcome to contribute to this wiki.
- You must login to create new pages and modify existing ones. You can create your own OSGEO Userid or use your existing one or you can use the generic one (login:wiki;password:wiki).
- Please prefix every new page names in this section with "UsersWiki" in order to easily distinguish them from other Wiki Trac pages.
- For a quick overview of how to format page's content see this page.
What is PostGIS?
PostGIS is an extension to the PostgreSQL object-relational database system that allows GIS (Geographic Information System) objects to be stored in the database. PostGIS does for PostgreSQL what Oracle Spatial does for Oracle, ArcSDE does for Microsoft SQL Server/Oracle.
PostGIS uses GEOS to implement many spatial functions. GEOS is a C++ port of the JTS Topology Suite.
- (slides) FOSS4G NA 2012 What's New in PostGIS 2.0 Paul Ramsey
- (slides) FOSS4G 2011 State of PostGIS video Paul Ramsey
- FOSS4G 2011 PostGIS 2.0 the new stuff (slides)video Regina Obe and Leo Hsu
- FOSS4G 2011 Store, manipulate and analyze raster data within the PostgreSQL/PostGIS spatial database video Pierre Racine
- NCGIS 2011 PostGIS 2.0 3D and Raster support enhancements Regina Obe and Leo Hsu
- Foss4G JP 2010 State of PostGIS video by Paul Ramsey
- PostGIS meets the 3rd Dimension by Olivier Courtin
- Foss4G 2009 State of PostGIS video by Paul Ramsey
- PostGIS 1.5 and Beyond PGDay EU 2010 talk by Mark Cave-Ayland and Olivier Coutin outlines the techical details of upcoming PostGIS 2.0 — the new disc format, new geometry types etc.
- PostGIS 1.5 and Beyond PGDay EU 2010 talk (more of a user perspective) by Vincent Picavet and Olivier Courtin
- PostgreSQL/PostGIS version support matrix
- PostGIS Tutorials
- PostGIS Manuals
- Features of PostGIS
- Coverage Concepts and PostGIS
- PostgreSQL/PostGIS GEOS GDAL /PostGIS version support matrix
- PostGIS as a part of PostgreSQL (Article)]
- Tools that support PostGIS
- Gallery Collection of applications using PostGIS in the backend.
- PostgreSQL Case Studies
- PostGIS Hosters
- PostGIS Support and Consulting Services
- PostGIS Wikipedia entry
- PostGIS and ESRI ArcSDE/ArcGIS Articles
- PostgreSQL general use user contributed functions and snippets
Contrast / Compare / Port Guides
Don't know if PostGIS is right for you or if another spatial db is more suited or you are porting from another/going to another and not sure the gotchas
- NCGIS 2011: Cross Comparison of Spatially Enabled Databases: PostGIS, SQL Server and JASPA
- Compare SQL Server 2008 R2, Oracle 11G R2, PostgreSQL/PostGIS 1.5 Spatial Features
- SQL Server 2008, PostGIS, MySQL function/feature Spatial compare
- Simon Greener's FOSS4G 2009 talk on Oracle Spatial/Locator and gotchas for porting between PostGIS/Oracle - complete with slides and sound
Compilation and Installation Guides
- PostGIS Install Guide for different systems
- Directions for Compiling in Windows
- Issues with Installing on Windows Vista Windows Vista Gotchas.
- PostGIS official manuals for all versions and for PostGIS JDBC driver.
- PostGIS in Action (2nd Edition) by Regina Obe and Leo Hsu - Covers PostGIS 2.1. Feature complete and available from Manning in draft form. With early purchase you get draft updates and final (e-Book/Hardcover) when complete. E-book is generally ½ price of full. All code and data downloads available for free on the book site even if you don't buy the book. Chapter 1 (a primer on PostGIS ) are free downloads.
- PostGIS cookbook Covers PostGIS 2.0 and 2.1. Common real-world recipes for getting things done in PostGIS.
- PostGIS 2 by Jose Carlos Martinez spanish book covering new features of PostGIS 2. Table of Contents
- PostGIS in Action (1st Edition) by Regina Obe and Leo Hsu - It's out and available via various distributors including Manning Publications and Amazon. If you want just the E-Book, purchase directly from Manning. The E-book is about 50% off the hard-copy price. With the purchase of Hard-copy, there is a free-coupon to get the E-Book version. Book includes PostGIS 1.3-1.5, PostgreSQL 8.3-9.0 (with upcoming highlights of PostgreSQL 9.1 and PostGIS 2.0). All code and data downloads available for free on the book site even if you don't buy the book. Chapter 1 (a primer on PostGIS ) and Appendix C (a primer on SQL) are free downloads.
Frequently Asked Questions
- function addgeometrycolumn("unknown", "unknown", integer, "unknown", integer) does not exist
- What is the measurement returned by ST_Distance?
- What unit of measurement do PostGIS functions use?
- How to get distance measurement in meters?
Examples of Spatial SQL
- Find Nearby Features
- Find Nearby Features in Lat/Lon (EPSG:4326)
- Find Features far from nearest neighbor - Anti-Near Neighbor
- Find Features Inside a Particular Polygon
- Find points on interior rings within a certain distance to exterior ring
- Clean Invalid Polygon Topology
- Determine spikes in polygons
- Search for spikes and removes them
- Function Find overlapping polygons in a table and remove slivers/overlaps
- Test all tables from GeometryColumns for invalid geometries
- Split a Polygon with a Linestring
- Split a table of Linestrings by a table of Points onto or close to the lines
- Simplify a multipolygon layer, keeping existing connections between polygons (Not using topology extension)
- Simplify a multipolygon layer, using PostGIS Topology
- Dilation/erosion technique for simplifying coastlines
- Create a fishnet grid (rectangular cells)
- Generate a hexagonal grid
- Create MultiPoint centroids from Multi geometries
- Create random points inside a polygon
- Create dot density maps
- Create a variable distance buffer
- Buffer geodetic geometry using distance in meters, via a transform to UTM
- Shell script showing basic construction of polygons from linestrings using topology
- Schema explaining postgis topology data model
- Create a network topology from a set of noded linestrings
- OGR Examples
- Batch Load Shapefiles with shp2pgsql.exe on windows
- Netbeans SQL Editor with (PostGIS) functions autocompletion and documentation
- Using QGis to display PostGis Layers
- SpatiaLite export from PostGIS
Spatial PL/PGSQL Functions
- Various Functions
- Functions for Distance
- Functions for the geography type
- WKT Raster Helper Functions
- Functions for spatial overlay of 2 polygon tables
- Functions for Linear Referencing
- PostGIS EJB3 Integration
- Postgis Topology - to be moved somewhere else
- Raster support
- WKT Raster - The new raster implementation in PostGIS
- PGCHIP - The GDAL Postgis driver for raster data - a corrected version can be found in current GDAL CVS
- pgRouting routing with PostGIS
- WishList of features for the future.
- Code Sprint 2009 Notes
- Spatial Algorithm Web Sites
Last modified 2 years ago Last modified on Nov 8, 2020, 10:23:14 AM
Note: See TracWiki for help on using the wiki.