Table of Contents
Maintainer: Martin Landa
- Package: grass
6.4.x (old stable)
- Package: grass6
7.1.svn (daily builds, development version)
- Package: grass-daily
- Daily builds of SVN trunk
- A desktop raster/vector GIS system (command line and graphical user interface)
- Main site: http://grass.osgeo.org/
- First time users should explore the first steps tutorial after installing.
- Get the OSGeo4W Installer 32bit or 64bit. (400k network-installer, full download is approx 60-80mb)
- Generic installer help can be found on the main OSGeo4W wiki page.
- Choose grass package from Desktop section.
The application can be run through:
- a desktop shortcut (icon)
- a menu shortcut
- on the osgeo4w shell through the grass70.bat
To start GRASS with graphical user interface, click on the desktop icon.
How to get command line:
- Start the osgeo4w shell. Then type:
How to start GRASS with the wxPython GUI:
- Start the osgeo4w shell. Then type:
Later Installation Update
- It is sufficient to re-run the installer which fetches the list of packages to then suggest available updates for the individual packages.
Lab Installation as offline set of packages
While the OSGeo4W installer is nice for individual installs, it may be problematic for institutional lab installs, where IT managers want to have stand alone applications that they can test, install, and remove easily. To install OSGeo4W-GRASS package as stand alone, see
- see also the non-OSGeo4W stand alone installer for WinGRASS
- Test, test test!
- While the GRASS libraries and modules are typically extremely well tested and stable, this new Windows install package is not. Because we are very confident in the underlying GIS code we hope that any problems due to the new Windows packaging efforts will be superficial and quickly resolved. You can help this process by reporting bugs: if it seems to be the fault of the installer report bugs to the OSGeo4W bug tracker, if it seems to be the fault of GRASS, report bugs to the GRASS bug tracker. You will need to create yourself an OSGeo ID to submit and comment on bugs. Bugs don't get fixed unless people point them out! It is expected that some issues related to spaces in the path names still exist, but we hope to have found most of these by now. Also it is likely that the wxPython GUI still has some gremlins in it, please help us find and fix them by reporting any errors you come across! Typically once found they are easy to fix. You can help to find spaces-in-the-path bugs by installing OSGeo4W into "Program Files\OSGeo4W" and setting the GRASS data directory to "Documents and Settings\username".
- Probably more ...
See also the known issues wiki page.
- Compile guide: Build using MinGW see also support scripts from SVN
- Main WinGRASS project current status page
- grass: wxpython gui issues
- Gdal/Proj problems with Grass installation
- duplicate gdal-grass and grass-gdal-plugins packages
- Dependencies not automatically selected
- Grass Raster Fails to Load in QGIS
- g.proj.exe crashes on Windows Vista
- Error creating a new GRASS location inside QGIS
- Add Cairo support for grass-7.0
- grass64 file has non-general file path
- add a menu entry for new GRASS gui
- qgis-grass plugin: "Cannot start module ... --interface-description"
- grass would not start
- grass pkg: terminal not available until you exit the gui
- grass needs wxWidgets to compile some GUI tools
- grass-pkg: typo in iexplorer path
- grass-pkg: wrong version in apps/grass/bin/ scripts
- "import grass.script as grass" in Python GRASS AddOns doesn't work
- User Account Control problem with v.patch (grass) (was: grass (v.patch) need libintl-8.dll)
- Old version of msys in package causes problems on Windows Vista (x64)
- osgeo4w needs newer tcl version due to bug in file encodings
- gpsbabel: missing libexpat XML parsing support (GPX)
- Upgrade GRASS to 6.4.0 release
- The express desktop install does not install gdal1.7
- please include a daily build for GRASS
- Missed grass-devel-vc package
- build GRASS with GEOS Support
- please updgrade GRASS to 6.4.1
- Upgrade QGIS/Grass and Grass plugin problem
- GRASS6.4.1 is not well work.
- add python-pil
- GRASS osgeo4w shortcut launchers do not work
- Virus alert installing grass-6.4.3RC2\...\g.echo.exe
- PROJ_LIB wrongly set in env.bat
- g.proj: projection can't be determined (64bit)
- Windows 64-bit installer does not include GRASS 7