Opened 8 years ago

Closed 2 years ago

#2553 closed task (fixed)

ST_OffsetCurve Documentation should explicitly mention variable return type

Reported by: gturner Owned by: robe
Priority: medium Milestone: PostGIS 2.4.6
Component: documentation Version: 2.2.x
Keywords: Cc:

Description

In 99% of cases, ST_OffsetCurve returns a LineString?, and this is the intuitive return type. However, in the remaining 1% of cases, it in fact returns a MultiLineString?. (The fact that some of those appear to be unjustifiably so is probably another ticket!) In many cases, programmers would simply assign the output to a linestring. This will cause intermittent bugs when a Multilinestring is returned. The documentation should explicitly say that this may be the case, allowing a programmer to allow for that possibility. It would be good to illustrate this possibility with an example, such as a jigsaw-tongue type structure where the width of the narrow part of the tongue is less than twice the offset distance.

Change History (9)

comment:1 Changed 8 years ago by robe

Milestone: PostGIS 2.1.2PostGIS 2.2.0

I may push this back if I have time or to 2.1.3 -- just getting it out of the 2.1.2 queue so we can release soon.

comment:2 Changed 6 years ago by robe

Type: enhancementtask

comment:3 Changed 6 years ago by robe

Milestone: PostGIS 2.2.0PostGIS 2.1.9

comment:4 Changed 4 years ago by pramsey

Milestone: PostGIS 2.1.9PostGIS 2.2.6
Version: 2.1.x2.2.x

comment:5 Changed 4 years ago by pramsey

Milestone: PostGIS 2.2.6PostGIS 2.2.7

comment:6 Changed 3 years ago by robe

Milestone: PostGIS 2.2.7PostGIS 2.5.0

comment:7 Changed 3 years ago by robe

Milestone: PostGIS 2.5.0PostGIS 2.4.5

comment:8 Changed 3 years ago by pramsey

Milestone: PostGIS 2.4.5PostGIS 2.4.6

comment:9 Changed 2 years ago by komzpa

Resolution: fixed
Status: newclosed

In 17675:

[doc] Note about mulitlinestring in ST_OffsetCurve
Closes #2553

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.