Python meta package, includes core executable & runtime, help
- Python commandline interpreter, and libraries.
- The interpreter can be invoked as
pythonin the osgeo4w shell.
- The Python interpreter is not associated with the .py extension in the shell, so you must run .py files with
python foobar.pyand not by double-clicking on them
- Documentation is not included (beyond builtin doc strings)
- Tcl support is not included.
- NumPy is a distinct add on package due to it's size.
Comprised of 3 sub-packages:
- python-wrapper - Wrapper to set python environment for Osgeo4W (required)
- python-core - Python executable and runtime (required)
- python-help - Python compiled help file (optional with Advanced Install)
|requires||shell python-wrapper python-core python-help|
Other python pages of note:
- ExternalPythonPackages - How to install python packages which aren't part of the osgeo4w system
- pkg-python/Python27 - building the Python 2.7 package
- RequiresPython - packages which depend on Python
- This package is harvested from the standard Python 2.7.2 .msi installer from python.org (see making a Python 2.7 package)
- New Python extensions should be unpacked in osgeo4w
- Include files and libraries are included, but in the
distutils/sysconfig.pysettings should be correct.
- Extensions may need to be compiled with VC7.1 to be compatible.
- etc\ini\python.bat set PYTHONHOME to control sys.prefix and finding of libraries, etc. This should supersede any other python on the system when python is run within the OSGeo4W shell.
enhancement type tickets:
Recently closed tickets
defect type tickets:
- python3-rasterio 1.3.6-1 binary incompatibility?
- Python.exe: import osgeo.gdal_array raise Application Error
- PyScripter 3.4.1 failed with qgis python36 install, upgrade to 3.6.6, include tk/idle
- ctypes version conflict with numpy
- gdal_array missing from latest python bindings?
- Python package needs cgi-bin/apache support