This is the MapServer 5.2 release plan adopted by the MapServer PSC on 2008-xx-xx.
See MS RFC 34 for more details on the MapServer Release Process.
New Features and Major Bug Fixes
New features in 5.2:
- MS RFC 36: Simplified Template Support for Query Output
- MS RFC 37: Spatial Reference Improvements and Additions
- MS RFC 38: Native Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Support
- MS RFC 41: WCS 1.1.x Support
- MS RFC 42: Support for Cookie Forwarding
- MS RFC 43: Direct Tile Generation for Google Maps API
- performance enhancements for large shapefile handling
- performance enhancements for AGG rendering (an order of magnitude faster in some cases)
- fuzzy label outlines for AGG
- style-level opacity for AGG
- quantization and palette support for PNGs and RGBA modes
- SOS 1.0.0 support
- WFS 1.1.0 support
- proxy and http authentication support for cascaded WMS requests
- pre-clip label point computation (helps in tile generation)
- extent (e.g. shpext, mapext) template tag attibute handling
We will plan for 2 betas and 2 release candidates (RC) over a 4 week period after the code freeze (1 beta/RC per week each Wednesday). This will lead us to a final release around July 1st:
- Feature freeze - Fri. June 6th, 2008
- 5.2.0-beta1 - Wed. June 11th, 2008
- 5.2.0-beta2 - Wed. June 18th, 2008
- 5.2.0-beta3 - Wed. June 25th, 2008
- 5.2.0-beta4 - Wed. July 2nd, 2008
- 5.2.0-rc1 - Wed. July 9th, 2008
- 5.2.0 (final) - Wed. July 16th, 2008
Release Manager (see MS RFC 34)
- The main trunk SVN is currently the 5.1 development version that we plan to release as 5.2
- The stable SVN branch for this release will be called "branch-5-2" (not created yet).
- Current proposed date for creating "branch-5-2" is the date of the 5.2.0 release (around July 1, 2008)
- If post-5.2 developments require earlier branching then please bring up your request for branching on the -dev list.
- The betas will be tagged in SVN as "rel-5-2-0-beta1", "rel-5-2-0-beta2", ... and the release candidates as "rel-5-2-rc1", "rel-5-2-rc2", etc...
In order to facilitate querying the Trac database for tickets that still need to be addressed for this release, we try to stick to the following conventions:
- Tickets to be addressed for this release must have their target milestone set to "5.2 release"
- Bugs/Enhancements? that can't make it in this release but that we may want to address at a later time should be marked with the "FUTURE" target milestone with a comment explaining that the bug is postponed and if possible a quick analysis
- The target milestone on a ticket should be set by the developers (bug owners) and not by the users (reporters).
Other good practices when dealing with tickets:
- Please file tickets for any non-trivial bugfix or change to the software. This is so that we keep a trace for future reference of all bugfixes and changes that were made (why and how).
- Please mark bugs ASSIGNED as soon as you start working on them
- Please when marking a bug fixed include a comment describing the fix, the version of the software in which it was done, the SVN changeset number (e.g. r1234) and any other relevant information. This will just make our lives easier in a few months/years when questions come up about this issue.
- When committing to SVN, please include the bug number in your SVN change log comment e.g. (#1234).
- Keep documentation in mind when fixing/changing things: if you cannot update the documentation yourself then please create a documentation bug describing the new feature/change and which document(s) should be updated.
The following query returns all currently open bugs that are tagged with the "5.2 release" target milestone: