wiki:PSC/Minutes/PSC_Meeting_20211112

Table of Contents

  1. Participants
  2. Agenda
  3. Minutes

PSC Meeting 2021-11-12

Participants

  • Vero Andreo (PSC chair)
  • Helena Mitasova
  • Anna Petrasova
  • Vaclav Petras
  • Huidae Cho
  • Moritz Lennert
  • Markus Neteler
  • Martin Landa
  • Michael Barton

Agenda

The topics proposed were:

  • Decide a fixed day and hour for PSC meetings
  • GRASS 8 branching and release - status, roadmap?
  • QGIS wants to drop GRASS plugin (See: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/234)
  • rgrass7 ==> rgrass8
  • Sponsoring/budget: what to do with the money we have? Let's use it!
  • New ideas for weekly posts in social media
  • RFC Python version - we have not agreed upon it yet

Minutes

  • Decide a fixed day and hour for PSC meetings
  • GRASS GIS 8 release schedule
    • We went through blocker pull request to understand what is still missing.
    • Vaclav offered to create the grass8 release branch on that day (done!).
    • We discussed what to do with i.band and g.bands modules and proposed different optional names more consistent with the new and broader semantic label concept that will now replace band reference. These modules will in any case be marked as experimental (with a sentence in the Description section of the manual page).
    • Martin will work on the temporal framework backward compatibility (https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1454).
    • Windows daily builds do not work (last build was on Oct 13, 2021). Martin will study this problem to fix it.
    • GRASS 8 RC1 release was agreed for December 10th. Martin will do this with Markus' and Vero's assistance.
  • GRASS plugin in QGIS
    • We agree with the QGIS Enhancement Proposal that there is a maintained GRASS Processing Provider and the modern GRASS GIS which cover the functionality that was previously covered by native C++ GRASS Plugin. So, we are fine with QGIS dropping it. We better focus some effort in the Processing Toolbox than the plugin. Notably, the GRASS vector/raster data provider stays in QGIS.
  • Budget
    • We have around 4k EUR
    • We discussed what to do with it as we didn't have community sprints for almost 2 years now.
    • We agreed to offer student fellowships with eligibility criteria similar to GSoC. Moritz prepared a draft of the call here: https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Student_Grants
  • Presence in social media
  • rgrass8
    • Vero will try to set up a meeting with Roger and 2 devs interested in contributing.
  • Website
    • Helena suggested to include a link to Github discussions in the Development page. We also agreed to include this in the community page.
    • Markus suggested to give more visibility to the community page/mailing lists and create a new menu item of it.
  • RFC about Python version
    • we did not discussed this
Last modified 6 months ago Last modified on Nov 20, 2021, 1:51:44 PM
Note: See TracWiki for help on using the wiki.