Table of Contents
GRASS GIS Annual Report 2018
Reporting period: between OSGeo Annual General Meeting (AGM) 2017 at FOSS4G 2017 Boston (August 14-19) and FOSS4G 2018 Dar es Salaam (August 27-September 2).
Primary use of this document a presentation at OSGeo AGM 2018, FOSS4G conference for 2018, in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
The final version has been included here: Slides of OSGeo Annual General Meeting 2018
- 7.4.0, 7.4.1 (new stable version)
- 7.2.2, 7.2.3 (old stable version)
- 7.0.6 (4th year of support!)
- 5 releases since last OSGeo AGM a year ago
- 7.6.0 (fall/winter 2018)
- 8.0.0 (in planning)
Major Developments and features
pip install grass-session("using GRASS GIS from outside")
- simplified usage-from-outside in CLI: grass ... --exec v.clean ...
- PROJ 5 support
- QGIS 3 integration
- openEO cloud API integration (http://www.openeo.org)
- GUI-based file-like management of data in different SRSs
- NULL (no data) compression
- Integrated Python editor
- File-like management of "grassdata"
Infrastructure or process changes
- initial work on git migration
Community health and happiness
Team & Sprints
- 1 new core dev: Stefan Blumentrath
- 3 new addon devs
- 4 new babies – a long-term plan ;-)
- Code Sprint 2018 at Basecamp
- 2017: 3 students accepted, 2 passed; 4 mentors; 2 managers for OSGeo
- 2018: 3 students accepted; 6 mentors
- 2017-2018: 2 mentors; 2 managers for OSGeo; 90 tasks completed, 74 abandoned, 44 out of time; ~120 students
Areas for improvement
These are challenges faced by the project.
- skilled community members and developers are always welcome!
Opportunities to help
Anything for members to help with?
- help designing the new web site (Wordpress) at staging.grass.osgeo.org
- we are improving Python 3 compatibility - here assistance is appreciated
Requests and communication
Any formal request from the board, marketing or other committees? Did you make a budget request for 2018? How did it go? ... External correspondence? For example, a letter of recommendation for a GSOC student? Code donation? ...
- Budget for 2018 was defined, support by OSGeo requested and approved, see https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Budget_2018
Outlook for 2019
Any roadmap items to share with our members? Let the board know if there is anything to plan for in 2019... Example: https://github.com/geotools/geotools/wiki/GeoTools-Annual-Report-2017