gdal_translate returning PROJCS "unnamed" for lambert_cylindrical_equal_area
|Reported by:||brodzik||Owned by:||warmerdam|
I am using gdal_translate to convert netCDF data to geotiff for files in EASE-Grid 2.0 (equal area projections using WGS84 ellipsoid). I have successfully defined CF metadata for my Northern and Southern Azimuthal equal area files so that this command:
gdal_translate -of GTiff -b 1 NETCDF:"EASE2_N12.5km.F13_SSMI.1997061.37H.M.SIR.CSU.v0.1.nc":TB_num_samples N.tif
produces a geotiff that I can successfully read and reproject in ArcMap, for example. Also, gdalinfo returns
PROJCS["LAEA (WGS84) "
along with the other metadata I expect for GEOGCS and DATUM.
However, when I run the same gdal_translate command on my cylindrical equal-area file:
gdal_translate -of GTiff -b 1 NETCDF:"EASE2_T12.5km.F13_SSMI.1997061.85V.D.SIR.CSU.v0.1.nc":TB_num_samples T.tif
It returns PROJCS["unnamed"
but I would expect it to return "CEA (WGS84)" or something of the like.
I did notice an earlier ticket
that seemed partially related to this issue, for the original EASE-Grid CEA; it was also returning "unnamed" PROJCS, along with unnamed GEOGCS and DATUM. Theoretically, the EASE-Grid 2.0 definition I am using should have eliminated the projection spheroid issues, since I am using WGS84 for the projection.
I am using gdal 2.0.0 on OSX. I have put sample .nc files for North and cylindrical data, and the resulting gdal_translate *.tif files here:
Thank you for your attention.
Change History (14)
comment:2 by , 6 years ago
|Component:||default → GDAL_Raster|
|Type:||defect → enhancement|