Visual Studio Build
I assume you have an svn client on windows. we are using tortoisSVN on windows
- checkout the latest revions of ossim. For my windows build I would put it under c:\ossim\vs2005\
so you have at least the following:
- Download the ossim_dependencies from http://ossim.telascience.org/ossimdata/Windows/vs2005 for the visual studio 2005 build.
you should extract and have a directory called ossim_dependencies in c:\ossim\vs2005
- Now let's compile the dependencies. This is a 2 step process. First go into ossim_dependencies\vcprojects.
You only need to load the ossim_deps solution. Make sure you have it set for release. I have not fixed other modes yet. Hit build solution. This will create a 3rdParty directory used by OpenSceneGraph and for ossim into the ossim_dependencies\src\3rdParty.
- Once the dependencies are finished cd into ossim_dependencies\src\OpenSceneGraph\VisualStudio.
Open the OpenSceneGraphLib solution. This is the only one that we have setup. Set to release mode for build and hit build solution. This solution will put things under ossim_dependencies\src\OpenSceneGraph\lib\win32 and ossim_dependencies\src\OpenSceneGraph\bin\win32. Once this is finished building you are now ready to build the ossim libraries.
If you want the GUI for ossimPlanetQt then you must download the GPL version of Qt 4.2.3 that we had fixed to produce visual studio projects. We have it here for download and it's called Qt.tgz or Qt.zip. Extract it at the root c:\. It should produce the subdirectories c:\Qt\4.2-msvc2005\ .....
Setup the following envirnment variables under the control panel/System Icon. On XP go to the Advanced tab and hit Environment Variables. Add a user path to c:\Qt\4.2-msvc2005\bin for the qmake executable. Now add QMAKESPEC variable and set it to win32-msvc2005 so the make spec will target visual studio projects. Finally setup the QTDIR variable to point to c:\Qt\4.2-msvc2005
Now you are ready to build the ossim tree. This is again a couple of steps. Most of the core we have a single solution for. the GUI is a little different since we must use qmake to produce the studio projects and then build.
- cd into c:\ossim\vs2005\ossim\projects\vs2005. Open up the solution project file. It is setup to do the non GUI builds and will compile ossim, ossimPlanet, libwms,
and the currently supported plugins. Select the Release mode and hit build solution. The output goes to C:\ossim\vs2005\ossim\projects\vs2005\release\bin, C:\ossim\vs2005\ossim\projects\vs2005\release\lib and C:\ossim\vs2005\ossim\projects\vs2005\release\bin\plugins
- open up a visual studio command prompt by going to the menu option tools/Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt. This will setup for command line stuff for visual studio.
cd into the C:\ossim\vs2005\ossimPlanetQt. within there you should cd into src directory and type in qmake. After that, you hould have an osismPlanetQt.vcproj in that same directory. Open that project up in Visual Studio and set to release mode and hit build. It should put the libraries in C:\ossim\vs2005\ossimPlanetQt\lib.
- now cd into C:\ossim\vs2005\ossimPlanetQt\apps\ossimplanet. run qmake and you should produce a file called ossimplanet.vcproj. Open this up in VisualStudio and set to
Release mode and hit build. this will put the ossimplanet.exe in release/ in the same directory.
Optionally a binary package can be created for windows installation. We use the INNO compiler to build windwos installers. You can obtain it and install it from here: http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php if this link is bad then do a google search for inno setup.
Once installed cd into C:\ossim\vs2005\ossim_package_support\vs2005. You should be able to double click on a file called ossimPlanet.iss and it will bring up the inno setup compiler. If you hit the build buttun it will create a setup.exe file in the output directory in the same location.
Setting up dependencies
This can be a challenge at times. If the commandline is comfortable for you set up msys first.
- Download QT4 binary installer from the Trolltech site and install their version of mingw in the msys/mingw folder. This will set up a compiler toolchain.
- Compile and install gdal, this is fairly simple. Install other closely linked packages as well including proj.4 and libtiff.
- Compile and Install OpenThreads and Producer libraries. Resolve dependecies as they come up. http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/ has a lot of useful binaries.
- Install ossim using standard ./configure , make and make install
- ossimPlanet console version can be compiled with standard make and make install as well
ossimqt is yet to be fully ported to Qt4.2 ossimPlanetQt however already works in QT4 and has been successfully compiled on windows using msys + qt4.2. Use the shell provided with QT 4.2 to perform this build.
- Add the mingw binary and dll locations to the PATH of the QT Shell.
- Modify the INCLUDE PATH and LIB paths as appropriate in the Makefile.Release files
- run qmake and make.
- Copy the binary and dll over to the same directory and run ossimplanet.exe