Dropping broken packages from OSGeo-Live 10.5
29 March 2017
This to be sent to as email to Live-demo@…, discuss@… and project points of contact
We, the OSGeo-Live team, have been struggling to get the latest OSGeo-Live 10.5 release out due to quality issues. During our testing sprint, we have found many issues such as:
- Referenced layers from being unavailable,
- Quickstarts being out of date with applications, (especially screenshots being wrong)
- And some broken applications.
With this this release that we are running into a mismatch between aggregate volunteer hours available, and amount of work required. In particular, collectively we've had less volunteers from each project committing to updating and testing their applications and quickstarts. This may be in part our fault for not chasing enough, or for doing more and more of the work and having others then expect this from us.
But for whatever reason, we are going to have to make some hard decisions with regards to getting this release out. We don't want to compromise on quality, so we will be commenting out applications which are not working or have significant issues with quickstarts.
Projects which have been earmarked to be commented out are below (there may be others we find)
- PyWPS https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1886
- Cesium https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1898
- Java World Wind https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1900 https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1901
- Iris https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1360
Projects with issues being looked into:
- QGIS https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1897
- GeoNode https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1442
- ZOO-Project https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/1431
If you can help with fixing or testing applications then we will be super grateful. You can talk with us on Live-demo AT lists.osgeo.org
- 30 March 2017: Finish accepting fixes/patches. Comment out broken applications
- 31 March: Build OSGeo-Live 10.5RC2
- 1-2 April: Testing sprint of 10.5RC2
- 4 April: Final release