[[File:Osgeolive wordle.png|link=http://live.osgeo.org|500px|right]] <br><br>
Call for interest in OSGeo-Live 6.0
30 April 2012
We are starting to build the 6.0 OSGeo-Live DVD which will be released in September 2012, ready for FOSS4G 2012 as well as many other spatial conferences. This upcoming version will be built upon the stable Xubuntu 12.04 Long Term Support (LTS) release. Documentation will be translated into eight languages, now also including Chinese and Catalan.
- Any new applications?
- We would like to hear from anyone wishing to add new projects to OSGeo-Live, anyone wishing to extend or add extra translations, or anyone who has ideas on how we should shape the upcoming release.
Key Priorities for next release
- Package Updates
- Migrate to Xubuntu 12.04 LTS
- Update and test latest stable software releases
- Migrating to OpenJDK
- Due to Oracles changed license conditions for Sun-Java, Ubuntu users are now strongly encouraging to move to OpenJDK instead of Sun Java, due to both improvements in OpenJDK, and difficult licencing conditions with Sun Java. As such, we will be endevouring to move all java based applications to OpenJDK (instead of Sun Java).
- Disk Space
- We have reached our DVD size limits, and need to be creative about saving space and disciplined in not losing space to duplication. We hope to ship a single Java and single Tomcat version this time, in addition to further consolidation around shared sample datasets.
- With Quality being a key focus area for us, we need lots of help with testing.
- 10 Jul 2012 Feature Freeze
- 07 Aug 2012 User Acceptance Test (all Apps installed and working)
- 28 Aug 2012 Final ISO sent to printers
OSGeo-live is an XUbuntu based distribution of Geospatial Open Source Software, available via a Live DVD, Virtual Machine and USB. You can use OSGeo-Live to try a wide variety of open source geospatial software without installing anything.