Create a rsync system to sync local VMs with a master
As we have a number of people collaborating in the building of the Virtual Machine, and as Virtual Machines are very large and slow and costly to download, we need a way that people can synchronise with the latest image without download 3 meg of data.
I propose that we set up the following:
- Mount the GISVM somewhere, probably on download.osgeo.org. (Ricardo has some other ideas for hosting locations which I can't put my finger on as I type this).
- Set up a configured rsync client inside GISVM image, probably using Unison, This will provide read only access to the master Virtual Machine. This will allow everyone to sync their local images with the latest.
- Set up the master GISVM image with read only access for most people, maybe through an anonymous password or similar.
- Set up write access to the GISVM image to the core GISVM team, probably only one or 2 people, who will be responsible for running people's scripts, and then uploaded the changed image back onto the master image.
- Periodically, this master image will be copied into a specific release with a version number.