Opened 12 years ago

Closed 12 years ago

#928 closed task (fixed) DNS Transfer

Reported by: robe Owned by: warmerdam
Priority: normal Milestone:
Component: SysAdmin Keywords: postgis dns
Cc: pramsey@…, strk, warmerdam, dmorissette


We have up on our server. It may make sense in future to have O

We'd like to transfer the DNS control for over to OSGeo, but need to know


For adding DNS entries -- would we just put in SAC tickets or is there a different protocol.

Thanks, Regina

Change History (14)

comment:1 by strk, 12 years ago

Cc: strk added

Is there anything I can do to speed this up ?

comment:2 by warmerdam, 12 years ago

Cc: warmerdam added
Keywords: dns added
Owner: changed from sac@… to warmerdam

I can assist with DNS changes, including migrations of a domain to OSGeo control. There is a not entirely trivial cost to supporting a DNS domain. I'm curious why planet isn't managed through I notice that is not managed by OSGeo - is there is interest in that? Would it be fair to say that the PostGIS PSC is asking OSGeo to take on management of on it's behalf or is this more an individual initiative?

comment:3 by strk, 12 years ago

It's a request from the PSC to transfer management to a community entity.

The domain is currently owned by Refractions. I don't think the PSC made any formal request for a transfer, but I'd personally vote for it.

comment:4 by warmerdam, 12 years ago

Status: newassigned


Normally there is some process you need to go through at the registrar where the domain is currently being managed to make it "transferrable". This should produce a "Transfer Authorization Code" which you can email to me personally (warmerdam@…) and I will process the transfer from our side.

BTW, I'm planning to do the "5 year" plan for the domain as this is cheapest on a per year basis ($13/yr).

comment:5 by warmerdam, 12 years ago

I'd just add that if a transfer of is possible, it might still make sense to just pursue that rather than have to financially (and administrationally) manage two domains for the project.

comment:6 by warmerdam, 12 years ago


Any further information available on this?

comment:7 by robe, 12 years ago

Frank we asked Refractions to transfer over the domain so you only need worry about one domain. We are still waiting back for consensus from them. I'll send a note to remind them since it has been about two weeks since I've heard from them. Last I spoke with them they were going to get all the partners together to decide but assume summer vacations are holding things up.

comment:8 by dmorissette, 12 years ago

Cc: dmorissette added

comment:9 by robe, 12 years ago

Frank et. al, Refractions denied our request so we are moving forward with transfering

We'll send you the transfer authorization code probably tomorrow and then you can confirm when you get it.

Thanks, Regina

comment:10 by robe, 12 years ago


We just emailed you the transfer code. Please confirm when you get it.

Thanks, Regina

comment:11 by warmerdam, 12 years ago

I have transferred the domain. The action is still pending approval.

Sorry for the delay.

I'm leaving the ticket open till this completes and we establish where we want it pointed, etc.

PS. very disappointed about

comment:12 by robe, 12 years ago


Me too. Perhaps they'll change their mind some day, but we must dry up our tears and move on. On a related note, all the services we have are not accessible since we clicked on the final approval from Pair. I presume you have not put in the DNS entries. Can you put those entries back in. I sent you the list in case you can't see it from your end.

Thanks, Regina

comment:13 by warmerdam, 12 years ago

Entries applied at pairnic per email from Regina.

I'm working on drying my tears.

Please close the ticket when you are satisfied that the things are working again.

comment:14 by robe, 12 years ago

Resolution: fixed
Status: assignedclosed

Okay things seem to be back to normal now. Thanks a bunch :)

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.