Add PDAL to standalone GRASS GIS install
|Reported by:||wenzeslaus||Owned by:|
|Keywords:||PDAL v.in.pdal r.in.pdal wingrass standalone||Cc:|
We have v.in.pdal (#2732) and r.in.pdal, one in core, one in addons, both at least somewhat usable. The next step is PDAL as dependency. The discussion was already started in #2732, but creating a separate ticket for it since it is distinct from the source code issues. Focusing just on MS Windows standalone installer here.
Why we need PDAL as dependency:
- Compilation of v.in.pdal module
- Command line tool for r.in.pdal addon module
- Command line tool to get around imperfections of GRASS lidar processing in the same way as libLAS command line tools were used (las to txt, LAS v1.4 to v1.2, linking with LAZ reading libraries, reprojection before import, ...)
- #2732 (Read lidar data as vector points using PDAL)
- grass-dev #2732: Read lidar data as vector points using PDAL (FastAC)
- OSGeo4W #576: move pdal python support into a new package
- We can also say that we are willing to pay the size price for v7.8 or even v7.6.
- No or smaller issue if we switch to Python 3 for v8 or v7.8 (PDAL and GRASS GIS Python dependencies are similar)
- FastAC license issue (FastAC is in las-perf and LASzip sources)
Don't we need a generic MSWindows Platform on Trac? Using 8 now.