G7: deprecate r.los in favour of r.viewshed
|Reported by:||neteler||Owned by:|
Given the long term testing of r.viewshed, are there objections to remove r.los from GRASS 7?
Here some related discussion from grass-dev:
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Hamish wrote:
How does r.viewshed differ from r.los?
basically it is faster and it scales to large regions well.
I don't know the exact O()ness level of it, but r.los becomes very quickly slower after the region size gets bigger than a smallish amount of rows x columns, to the point where it becomes unusable.
from the code header comments:
- The viewshed algorithm is efficient both in
- terms of CPU operations and I/O operations. It has worst-case
- complexity O(n lg n) in the RAM model and O(sort(n)) in the
- I/O-model. For the algorithm and all the other details see the
- paper: "Computing Visibility on * Terrains in External Memory" by
- Herman Haverkort, Laura Toma and Yi Zhuang.