Opened 5 years ago
Closed 5 years ago
#7224 closed enhancement (fixed)
Add support for Hebrew ESRI Shapefile file names
|Reported by:||zstadler||Owned by:||warmerdam|
|Severity:||normal||Keywords:||shapefile Hebrew filename|
Description (last modified by )
On Windows 10 command line, the "ESRI Shapefile" driver seems to be unable to open shapefiles where the file name is in Hebrew.
- Download and unzip the attached zip file to a directory of your choice.
cd "fire alert towers"
The result is an error message:
FAILURE: Unable to open datasource `?????_?????_??.shp' with the following drivers. -> FileGDB -> PCIDSK -> netCDF -> JP2OpenJPEG -> PDF -> DB2ODBC -> ESRI Shapefile -> MapInfo File ...
Change History (5)
by , 5 years ago
|Attachment:||fire alert towers.zip added|
comment:1 by , 5 years ago
comment:2 by , 5 years ago
comment:3 by , 5 years ago
comment:4 by , 5 years ago
|Status:||new → closed|
I believe this issue should be fixed now in trunk with the improvements with Unicode filename handling on command line utilities on Windows
Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.
Works for me here in Finland. First I have to change the Windows codepage from the command line with
CHCP 1255. I took the code from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_code_page,
Now ogrinfo works fine with a shapefile that I renamed with file manager by using the name from your question.
The filename in INFO looks different than the name that I used in the command but ogrinfo is still listing all the data fine.
I know that even ESRI supports long and non-ASCII names is shapefiles, but in the one and only published shapefile specification https://www.esri.com/library/whitepapers/pdfs/shapefile.pdf they are not allowed.