Opened 11 years ago

Closed 11 years ago

Last modified 10 years ago

#5209 closed defect (fixed)

Bug in 'cubic' resampling of gdalwarp

Reported by: sprice Owned by: warmerdam
Priority: normal Milestone:
Component: Algorithms Version: 1.10.0
Severity: normal Keywords: warper
Cc: dron@…


I get artifacting with the attached file and the command: gdalwarp -tr 4 -4 -r cubic

The coefficients seem to be wrong in the cubic interpolation. I done fixed them. To keep total multiplication operations down, I did some pre-multiplication of the 'dfDelta' arguments by 0.5.

I also removed the floor() operations because they are unneeded for all pixel indices greater than 0. Edge indices (less than and equal to zero) are already handled by GWKBilinearResample().

For correctness, I also added 0.5 to the interpolated value of shorts when casting.

And, just because, I pre-saved pointers so gratuitous pointer following isn't happening.

Attachments (2)

gdalwarpkernel.diff (7.1 KB ) - added by sprice 11 years ago. (77.2 KB ) - added by sprice 11 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (10)

by sprice, 11 years ago

Attachment: gdalwarpkernel.diff added

by sprice, 11 years ago

Attachment: added

comment:1 by Even Rouault, 11 years ago

Cc: dron@… added

Hi Andrey,

SVN history shows that you are the original author of the bicubic interpolator (r5484, 10 years ago !). Seth's patch seems reasonable as it adopts the coefficients mentionned in , which are also the ones mentionned in formula (18) in the Key's paper . Do you remember where the coefficients you proposed in the CubicConvolution() macro come from ?

comment:2 by warmerdam, 11 years ago

Status: newassigned

I'll take this one.

comment:3 by warmerdam, 11 years ago

Component: defaultAlgorithms
Keywords: warper added

Minimum cubic resampler fix applied in trunk (r26492) and a change in test golden results (r26493). These could be taken back into 1.10.

comment:4 by warmerdam, 11 years ago

One more fix to test results (r26497).

comment:5 by warmerdam, 11 years ago

Resolution: fixed
Status: assignedclosed

I've applied the floor and +0.5 changes. Other optimizations should really be held till there are more complete tests.

comment:6 by sprice, 11 years ago

One fix to your patch:

  • the line "*piValue = 32768;" should probably be "*piValue = -32768;"

Moving the dfDelta* and memory pointer invariants outside of the loop results in an overall 2% speedup in my tests. I'm running with Landsat 8 panchromatic and resampling to 3 m with a command like:

time gdalwarp -tr 3 -3 LC80210332013169LGN00_B8.TIF LC80210332013169LGN00_B8.spatch.resamp5.TIF

If one was resampling all of Landsat 8's panchromatic bands in this manner on my machine, the processor is spending an extra two days simply recomputing values. (for example)

comment:7 by sprice, 11 years ago

Also, my tests were in Landsat 8 (short precision) and regular usage is in byte precision. That will have half as much data per calculation. Less time will be spent on I/O and correspondingly more time on the kernel operations. The optimization probably be slightly more significant with bytes.

comment:8 by Even Rouault, 10 years ago

The change "*piValue = 32768;" --> "*piValue = -32768;" was actually done in r26504

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.