Ticket #206 (closed task: fixed)
Planet OSGeo RFC
|Reported by:||mloskot||Owned by:||mloskot|
|Component:||WebSite||Keywords:||planet blogs community|
After some discussion within the community, I'd like to submit to the Website Committee a more official request for comments on the idea of Planet OSGeo.
Currently, there are two geospatial planets on the Web:
* Planet Geospatial maintained by James Fee aggregates wide variety of geospatial blogs
* Planet OSGEO maintained by Chris Schmidt - syndicates OSGeo-oriented blogs
This submission proposes to base on these concepts and move Christopher's planet under the umbrella of OSGeo.
Copy of this document is available at the OSGeo Wiki: http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/PlanetOSGeo
The Planet OSGeo - a website that aggregates blogs of active Friends of OSGeo and provide a window into the community itself.
- Maintainers: Mateusz Loskot, ...
- Domain: planet.osgeo.org
- Hardware: waiting for approval
- Documentation: http://wiki.osgeo.org/Planet
- Planet is for any active and involved participant in the OSGeo Community..
- There are many ways of participating in the OSGeo, so all of types of involvement are considered for the purposes of inclusion in Planet OSGeo: our projects users and developers, speakers and advocates, translators, managers and presidents of OSGeo friendship companies and sponsors, etc.
- In order to help building the OSGeo brand and credibility, it's recommended the Planet is not formed by anonymous individuals but its members use real names. Also, heads are highly recommended.
- Planet OSGeo aims to aggregate the blogs of people who are active on OSGeo and not only to aggregate the blog posts about OSGeo.
- The Planet shall not do any content filter, however subscribed feeds ought to be at least occasionally relevant to OSGeo.
- All opinions expressed in syndicated blogs are of the original authors and should not be considered as official opinion of the OSGeo Foundation body.
- Planet users are free to submit "on-topic" posts by pointing specific categories/tags in their feeds. But other posts are also welcome.
- It's a good idea to stay away from advertising content (or content that might be confused as such) and from excessively personal information
- Please, don't annoy people
- Feeds should include content in English only
- Feeds should provide stable permanent URL
- Broken feeds will be excluded from the Planet
The Planet OSGeo summary is based on definitions and rules described at following pages: