|Version 7 (modified by 3 years ago) ( diff ),|
OSGeo-Live 13.0 Released
- September 2019
Version 13.0 of the OSGeoLive GIS software collection has been released, and was distributed at the International Conference for Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial (FOSS4G) in Bucharest, Romania. It was great to see that OSGeolive was also used in many Workshops at FOSS4G 2019.
Highlights for this release include:
- New applications MapCache, GeoExt, t-rex, actinia
- Python tools like Fiona, rasterio, cartopy, pandas, geopandas, mappyfile
- Improved documentation with four new translations, now supporting: English | Deutsch | Español | Suomen kieli | Français | Italiano | 日本語 | Hungarian
- Version updates to many of the included packages
We are very pleased that with version 13.0 OSGeoLive has improved a lot on the python side and added many tools and also Jupyter documentation. With the introduction about Jupyter OSGeoLive can easily be used in Python trainings and it gives consideration to the rising usage and relevance of Python in geospatial architectures.
OSGeoLive 13.0 also shows how easy translation works with Transifex. Thanks to Nicolas Roelandt and Vicky Vergara for their work. At FOSS4G 2019 during the community sprint a team worked on the translation and we added Romanian as new language.
Remarkable concerning translations is that Hungarian is translated completely. Zoltán Siki from the hungarian team pointed out the need of the translation and will use it soon at GIS courses at University in Budapest.
Maria Aria de Reyna president of OSGeo says "So much effort goes in to each OSGeoLive release, from documentation to packaging to testing, that we must take a moment to thank those involved. The whole OSGeoLive team deserves a huge thanks. Thank you OSGeoLive team and congratulations on this release."
Watch OSGeoLive Presentation at FOSS4G 2019
Download the OSGeoLive 12.0 image at https://live.osgeo.org/en/download.html
OSGeoLive is a Lubuntu based distribution of Geospatial Open Source Software, available via a Virtual Machine, USB and DVD. OSGeoLive is pre-installed with robust open source geospatial software, which can be trialled without installing anything.
- Close to 50 quality geospatial Open Source applications installed and pre-configured
- Free world maps and sample datasets
- Project Overview and step-by-step Quickstart for each application
- Lightning presentation of all applications, along with speaker's script
- Translations to multiple languages
Hundreds of people have directly helped with OSGeoLive packaging, documenting and translating, and thousands have been involved in building the packaged software. Thank you to all involved.
- OSGeo - the Open Source Geospatial Foundation provides development & hosting infrastructure for OSGeoLive and many of the included applications.
- Information Center for the Environment (ICE) at the University of California, Davis provides hardware resources and development support.
- Remote Sensing Laboratory at the National Technical University of Athens, provides hardware resources and development support.
- The Debian GIS and UbuntuGIS teams provide and quality-assure many of the core packages.
- Okeanos is kindly providing Virtual Machines for building the OSGeoLive iso images.