|Version 1 (modified by 6 years ago) ( diff ),|
OSGeo-Live Quickstart Hackathon - Wrappup
18 February 2013
As we are wrapping up the OSGeo-Live 6.5 release, it is worth taking stock of the progress made during our recent OSGeo-Live Quickstart Hackaton. This was kicked off by a 48 hour intensive hackathon, followed up by a couple of weeks, addressing issues found.
Our aim was to "... bring OSGeo-Live documentation quality up one notch, by putting the Quickstarts through the same comprehensive testing and review that we have provided for our Project Overviews". We set up a comprehensive 3 tier review process, ensuring that
- All steps from quickstarts have been updated by the original author,
- The quickstarts have been tested by an independent person,
- And quickstarts have been reviewed for usability and consistency.
And the results:
- at least 24 people joined the hackfest
- Out of 62 Quickstart documents:
- 40 were brought in line with the latest 6.5 OSGeo-Live release
- 28 were externally reviewed
- 12 were comprehensively updated for readability and consistency. These included most of the high profile OSGeo projects.
And what did we learn?
- There is a lot of work involved in reviewing all these documents. We were spending in the order of 2 to 16 hours per quickstart for a comprehensive review. This is quite a bit of time when considering there are 62 documents.
- "Many hands might light work". The many contributors ensured we made some great progress on this task.
- We still haven't finished, but we are now in a good position to bring the docs in line for the next OSGeo-Live release, version 7.0.
Thanks to all the contributors. (I think there are a few more contributors who didn't register)
- Cameron Shorter
- Angelos Tzotsos
- Hamish Bowman
- Brian Hamlin
- Alex Mandel
- Javi Sanchez
- Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
- Sergio Baños Calvo
- Alexander Muriy
- Micha Silver
- Stephan Meissl
- David Mateos Pascual
- Roberto Antolín
- Andrea Yanza
- Javier Luque
- Yansa Tejada
- Agustín Diez
- Henry Addo
- Astrid Emde
- Eike Hinderk Jürrens
- James Klassen
- Argyros Argyridis
- Maria Vakalopoulou
- Alexander Muriy