|Version 1 (modified by 6 years ago) ( diff ),|
Three weeks till Geospatial Live DVD 3.0 feature freeze
14 January 2009
Do you want your favorite project on the next Geospatial Live DVD?
It is now decision time for determining what software will be stored on the upcoming Arramagong GIS Live DVD, release 3.0. We have a feature freeze in 3 weeks which means the Live DVD will be ready for a number of large geospatial conferences in April. (If we have enough volunteers, we will be able to have the release ready for the German Speaking conference in March as well).
We have built our first 3.0-alpha1 release of Arramagong based on XUbuntu 9.10, with a few glitches in some packages. We hope projects will help us fix these over the next few weeks. : Build logs at: http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/3.0-alpha1/
We are now calling on projects to:
By 7 February 2010 (Feature Freeze):
- Verify which version of stable software will be installed on the liveDVD. Priority will be given to software already packaged for Ubuntu.
- Update install scripts to work with Ubuntu 9.10
By 28 February 2010 (Final Release Candidate):
- Test the project's application in the LiveDVD and fix all bugs
- Optional: refine documentation & general look and feel
Arramagong is based on XUbuntu 9.10, and allows people to try a wide variety of open source geospatial software without installing anything. It is available as:
- A Live DVD, which is regularly handed out at conferences, most recently being given to all delegates at the 2009 FOSS4G conference.
- A Virtual Machine
- Within a web browser from Click2Try: http://www.click2try.com/catalog/Web-Development/Geospatial/Arramagong-GISVM/details
The stack of popular GeoSpatial Open Source Applications included on the Arramagong LiveDVD includes:
- GRASS GIS
- MB System
- Open Jump
- Open Layers
- OpenStreetMap Editors
- R geostatistics
You can find more details about the project on our wiki at: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc
Build process is at: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GISVM_Build