|Version 1 (modified by 6 years ago) ( diff ),|
One week to update of OSGeo-Live English Overviews and Quickstarts
9 July 2011
Could all projects please ensure that their Project Overviews and Quickstarts have been updated to reflect the current version and status, and then that the Quickstarts have been run from start to finish inside a recent release to ensure it works.
Once finished, update our status sheet. 
We'd like docs updated in time for translators by Monday 18 July 2011, in a bit over a week. All docs and translations need to be complete by 8 August 2011.
For Project Overviews:
- Ensure that the version is the same in the status sheet , installed application, and in English and translated Project Overviews 
- If required, updated the feature list or text
- Once complete update the status sheet  to "5.0draft" if you have updated text, or "5.0final" if you have only changed the version number.
- I'll review all Overviews set to "5.0draft"
- If required, update the Quickstart text, then set status in spreadsheet to "5.0draft"
- Test that the quickstart works in a recent OSGeo-Live release, and if the Quickstart works as expected, update the "Tested by" column in the status sheet  to "5.0<yourname>". Report any errors to the application's developer and/or developer community and/or osgeo-live email list.
- Have a independent person (not the quickstart author) also check the quickstart and add name to the "Tested by" column.
Note specific changes to location of documents and datasets on OSGeo-Live:
- OSGeo-Live docs are now visible on the DVD via http://localhost/en/index.html. Extra documentation or examples should be available via http://localhost/<application>/... and http://live.osgeo.org/<application>/... and referenced via a relative link. (Docs are installed into, or have a relative link into /var/www/)
- You may need to tweak bin/install_<application>.sh  scripts to ensure docs are available in the right place.
- Datasets are visible at http://localhost/data/<dataset>/ and available from the home directory at /home/user/data/<dataset>/. Datasets should be referenced to /home/user/<dataset>/... ideally with a relative link to the ../../data/<dataset> or similar.
I had been hopeful that I'd be able to provide comprehensive review of all quickstart documents for this release, however I won't have time to get through them all. If we have any good documentation writers who can spare time to help review, I'd love to hear from you.
From now until OSGeo-Live release, we are going to need to do lots of testing, and updating and tracking status, lots of minor tweaks, and handling all the small issues which are so important for presenting a quality product. In particular, we need a few people to run all quickstarts and verify they work. If you can help with some of these tasks, please let me know, and probably also speak up on the osgeo-live list.
Video of Quickstarts?
It would be excellent if we could produce a set of videos, which walk through each of the quickstarts. This would be quite a bit of work, but it would be hugely valuable. (50 projects, 5 to 10 minutes recording time, maybe an hour post-processing and loading onto a website per project, depending on the level of editing applied). Speak up if you think you would be interested.