GEOS - Geometry Engine, Open Source
The official GEOS web site is now https://libgeos.org
This site is now read-only and new issues should be filed at GitHub.
GEOS is available under the terms of GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL).
Spatial Model and Functions
- Geometries: Point, LineString, Polygon, MultiPoint, MultiLineString, MultiPolygon, GeometryCollection
- Predicates: Intersects, Touches, Disjoint, Crosses, Within, Contains, Overlaps, Equals, Covers
- Operations: Union, Distance, Intersection, Symmetric Difference, Convex Hull, Envelope, Buffer, Simplify, Polygon Assembly, Valid, Area, Length,
- Prepared geometries (pre-spatially indexed)
- STR spatial index
- OGC Well Known Text (WKT) and Well Known Binary (WKB) encoders and decoders.
- C++ API (will likely change across versions)
- C API (provides long-term ABI stability)
- Thread safe (using the reentrant API)
Build and Install
- Building on Unix with CMake
- Building on MINGW64 with CMake
- Building on Windows with CMake Latest instructions for VS 2019 in repo
No longer supported
- Windows binaries:
- Linux distributions provide packages with GEOS: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo, openSUSE and other
- PostgreSQL RPM Repository has up2date GEOS (and other GIS related components) packages.
- Binaries /Packages with GEOS for other Unix systems:
- GEOS Framework for Mac OS X 10.5+ provided by William Kyngesburye. Big thanks to William!
- Fink for Mac OS X
- MacPorts for Mac OS X
- Homebrew package manager for Mac OS X
- GEOS ports for FreeBSD
- GEOS pkgsrc packages for NetBSD and other UNIX-like systems including including Solaris, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, Darwin and others.
- GEOS binaries from Conan.io - a C/C++ Package Manager
Report bugs using GitHub issues.
When submitting bugs caused by particular geometries, you must submit the geometries that cause the failure, preferably in hex-encoded WKB, so that we can re-produce the failure cases.
- Prepared Geometries
- Geometry Cleaning (Discussion Page)
- Boundary node rule (Discussion Page)
Documentation and Other Information
- GEOS API -- Doxygen-generate API documentation
- Microsoft Visual Studio visualizers
- Applications -- Applications using GEOS
- CodingPatterns Coding Patterns
- GSoC -- Google Summer of Code Ideas (GSOC)
Wiki / Trac Information
- TracGuide -- Built-in Documentation
- The Trac project -- Trac Open Source Project
- Trac FAQ -- Frequently Asked Questions
- TracSupport -- Trac Support
- For a complete list of local wiki pages, see TitleIndex.
- FOSSG42018logo.svg (32.1 KB ) - added by 5 years ago.
Download all attachments as: .zip