|Version 38 (modified by robe, 4 years ago)|
Welcome to the Users PostGIS Wiki!
Everybody is welcome to contribute to this wiki.
- You must login to create new pages and modify existing ones. You can create your own OSGEO Userid or use your existing one or you can use the generic one (login:wiki;password:wiki).
- Please prefix every new page names in this section with "UsersWiki" in order to easily distinguish them from other Wiki Trac pages.
- For a quick overview of how to format page's content see this page.
What is PostGIS?
PostGIS is an extension to the PostgreSQL object-relational database system that allows GIS (Geographic Information System) objects to be stored in the database. PostGIS does for PostgreSQL what Oracle Spatial does for Oracle, ArcSDE does for Microsoft SQL Server/Oracle?.
- PostGIS Manuals
- Features of PostGIS
- Foss4G 2009 State of PostGIS talk
- PostgreSQL/PostGIS GEOS/PostGIS version support matrix
- PostGIS Tutorials
- PostGIS as a part of PostgreSQL (Article)]
- Tools that support PostGIS
- Gallery Collection of applications using PostGIS in the backend.
- PostgreSQL Case Studies
- PostGIS Hosters
- PostGIS Wikipedia entry
- PostGIS and ArcSDE/ArcGIS 9.3 Articles
- PostgreSQL general use user contributed functions and snippets
Compilation and Installation Guides
- Directions for PostGIS RPM Installation.
- Directions for PostGIS on Ubuntu.
- Directions for Compiling in Windows.
- Issues with Installing on Windows Vista Windows Vista Gotchas.
Examples of Spatial SQL
- Find Nearby Features
- Find Nearby Features in Lat/Lon (EPSG:4326)
- Find Features far from nearest neighbor - Anti-Near Neighbor
- Join Spatial and Non-Spatial Tables
- Overlay Geometries in one table with Geometries in another
- Find Features Inside a Particular Polygon
- Clean Invalid Polygon Topology
- Find points on interior rings within a certain distance to exterior ring
- Splitting a Polygon with a Linestring
- Generating a hexagonal grid
- MultiPoint centroids from Multi geometries
- Examples OGR Examples
- Create a network topology from a set of noded linestrings
- Geocode a point along a line with a left/right offset
- PostGIS EJB3 Integration
- Postgis Topology - to be moved somewhere else ;)
- Raster support
- WishList of features for the future
- Code Sprint 2009 Notes
Newbie Common Problems and Questions
- function addgeometrycolumn("unknown", "unknown", integer, "unknown", integer) does not exist
- What is the measurement returned by ST_Distance?
- What unit of measurement do PostGIS functions use?
- How to get distance measurement in meters?
Useful Additional PL/PGSQL Functions
- PL/PGSQL Functions
- Neighbor Search Nearest Neighbor Search
- PL/PGSQL Pseudo Cascade Union Aggregate Function (use for pre-PostGIS 1.4
What is GEOS
GEOS is a C++ port of the JTS Topology Suite. It is used by PostGIS to implement Topological functions.