OSSIM is one of the founding projects for the Open Source Geo-spatial Foundation OSGEO. All projects in the OSGeo need to go through an incubation process that will help guarantee the long term viability and continued open source status of the project.
OSGeo Incubation Steps
1) Getting organized governance structures in place and documenting them
if they don't already exist. Normally this is accomplished as some sort of RFC type document describing your project steering committee's operation.
2) Do a review of your code base for possible issues. This is sometimes
referred to as a provenance review.
3) Make sure you have rules in place for your committers to ensure they
understand their responsibilities with regard to keeping the provenance clean after the review.
4) Review others issues with the openness and professionalism of the project
that you think should be addressed as part of incubation. In the past this has included things like institutionalizing use of a bug database, improving user documentation, and automated build and smoketests.
5) Consider taking advantage of OSGeo infrastructure hosting for things like
svn, downloads, trac, buildbot. As well as lightening the load for your project admins, it should also ensure fairly timely resolution of infrastructure problems.