Included in this release:
- In-browser vector support using SVG/VML
- Reworked controls to better support extensibility
- Added support for toolbar style control deployment
- Substantial enhancements to existing Layer classes, particularly WFS
- Tons and tons of bug fixes - a total of 183 tickets closed, more than any other release.
OpenLayers 2.4 has seen major contributions from the community, including almost all of the work in creating the vector support. This development has included large contributions from employees of camptocamp, LISAsoft, DM Solutions, and MetaCarta, in addition to a large funding effort by OpenMNND in helping to finalize and integrate the OpenLayers 2.4 Vector Branch into trunk. This release has truly demonstrated the power of the open source development method for the OpenLayers project, and I am thankful to all the users, developers, testers, etc. who have made this possible.
To run 2.4 in your applications, include the following tag in your OpenLayers-powered page:
Official Release Notes including all features and bug fixes can be found at http://trac.openlayers.org/wiki/Release/2.4/Notes
Bug reports can be filed in Trac, under the 2.4 version.
As always, thanks for any and all feedback... and thanks for using OpenLayers!