|Version 3 (modified by sdlime, 3 years ago)|
New Features and Major Bug Fixes
New features in 6.0:
- full pluggable renderer support
- OGC filter encoding -> MapServer filterObj support (idea)
- MapServer MapMaker? mapfile authoring client (idea)
Other notable enhancements include:
We will plan for 3 betas and 2 release candidate (RC) over a 5 week period after the code freeze (1 beta/RC per week each Wednesday). This will lead us to a final release sometime around mm/dd/2010:
- Feature freeze - Fri.
- 6.0.0-beta1 - Wed.
- 6.0.0-beta2 - Wed.
- 6.0.0-beta3 - Wed.
- 6.0.0-rc1 - Wed.
- 6.0.0-rc2 - Wed.
- 6.0.0 (final) - Wed.
Release Manager (see MS RFC 34)
- The main trunk SVN is currently the 5.7 development version that we plan to release as 6.0
- The stable SVN branch for this release will be called "branch-6-0" (not created yet).
- Current proposed date for creating "branch-6-0" is the date of the 6.0.0 release (TBD)
- If post-5.6 developments require earlier branching then please bring up your request for branching on the -dev list.
- The betas will be tagged in SVN as "rel-6-0-0-beta1", "rel-6-0-0-beta2", ... and the release candidates as "rel-6-0-rc1", "rel-6-0-rc2", etc...
In order to facilitate querying the Trac database for tickets that still need to be addressed for this release, we try to stick to the following conventions:
- Tickets to be addressed for this release must have their target milestone set to "6.0 release"
- Bugs/Enhancements?? that can't make it in this release but that we may want to address at a later time should be marked with the "FUTURE" target milestone with a comment explaining that the bug is postponed and if possible a quick analysis
- The target milestone on a ticket should be set by the developers (bug owners) and not by the users (reporters).
Other good practices when dealing with tickets:
- Please file tickets for any non-trivial bugfix or change to the software. This is so that we keep a trace for future reference of all bugfixes and changes that were made (why and how).
- Please mark bugs ASSIGNED as soon as you start working on them
- Please when marking a bug fixed include a comment describing the fix, the version of the software in which it was done, the SVN changeset number (e.g. r1234) and any other relevant information. This will just make our lives easier in a few months/years when questions come up about this issue.
- When committing to SVN, please include the bug number in your SVN change log comment e.g. (#1234).
- Keep documentation in mind when fixing/changing things: if you cannot update the documentation yourself then please create a documentation bug describing the new feature/change and which document(s) should be updated.
The following query returns all currently open bugs that are tagged with the "6.0 release" target milestone: