|Version 7 (modified by jng, 14 months ago)|
MapGuide 2.4 Release Notes
MapGuide Open Source 2.4 Preview Release is now available!
Binaries for Windows have been posted to OSGeo
Windows 32 bit installer:
Windows 64 bit installer:
|Windows XP SP3||Yes||Maybe*|
|Windows Server 2003||Yes||Maybe*|
|Windows Server 2008||N/A||Yes|
* IIS configuration will probably not work. Apache config should work due to its self-contained nature
+ Not tested, but similar enough to Windows 7 to theoretically work
Additional Post Release Patches
Major New Items
- A new service for profiling performance (RFC 110)
- Web Tier directories now include SVN metadata, allowing for the pulling of viewer updates and fixes instantly with a subversion client (RFC 111)
- Path scaling support in Symbol Definitions (RFC 113)
- New Feature Service API for save points RFC 114
- Improved Coordinate System conversion performance (RFC 116)
- IPv6 support (RFC 118)
- Support for enhanced URL information in Layer Definitions (RFC 119)
- Configurable Coordinate System dictonary paths via serverconfig.ini and webconfig.ini (RFC 122)
- Feature Join performance optimizations (RFC 123 and http://themapguyde.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/improving-feature-join-experience-or.html)
- Toggle-able tooltips for AJAX and Fusion viewers (RFC 120)
- Lots of performance and usability improvements in Fusion (see this link for an overview)
Also included are features from the (cancelled) 2.3 milestone
- Datum Transformation enhancements (RFC 94)
- WMS 1.3.0 support (RFC 95)
- QuickPlot? command for AJAX and Fusion viewers (RFC 96)
- EPSG/SRID code changes (RFC 98)
- WFS 1.1.0 support (RFC 106)
- Watermark support (RFC 108)
Thanks to the ever growing team of developers who are contributing to make the MapGuide Open Source project a more self-sustaining project.
Please report any defects.
MGOS 2.4.0 is compatible with FDO 3.7.0.
FDO is compiled against the Oracle 11.2 instant client available from Instant Client Downloads. For a Linux installation, the Oracle shared library path should be included in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or ldconfig.
Installing MGOS 2.4 preview alongside MGOS 2.2 or older releases is not a currently supported configuration
The installer does not currently support IIS Express as an IIS configuration option.
Please observe the updated software requirements if you are using .net and/or IIS configuration:
- IIS (all versions) require FastCGI for IIS to be installed. See this link for more information
- The supported .net Framework version for the MapGuide .net API is 4.0
- For IIS6 and below, the installer will still set the ASP.net version to 2.0.50727. You will have to manually change the ASP.net version to 4.0.30319 post-install
To assist new MapGuide users and developers, the installer also now bundles the following optional components:
- .net/PHP/Java viewer samples
- MapGuide Developer's Guide in HTML format with updated content
- .net/PHP/Java Developer's Guide Samples
All bundled samples require the Sheboygan dataset to be loaded into the MapGuide Server. For Developer's Guide samples, the developer's guide data package needs to be loaded. These can be found in the root directories of the respective devguide samples in your MapGuide Web Tier installation.
Finally, due to coordinate system dictionary paths no longer tied to a global environment variable (RFC 122) a mandatory system reboot after installation is no longer required for all supported versions of Windows. However, a restart of Apache and/or IIS may be required for PHP to work.
- The installer will not remove the IIS virtual directories correctly if you specified a different virtual directory in IIS. For example, if you install with a virtual directory of "mapguide24" it will still remove the "mapguide" virtual directory on uninstall.
- Uninstallation can leave "ghost" IIS virtual directories behind, which currently include:
- Any virtual directory / application you create inside the mapguide virtual directory
- These "ghost" directories can impact on future installations. To ensure these "ghost" directories are completely gone after uninstallation, use the appcmd.exe utility to remove these virtual directories. You can find out what virtual directories are still there by running
appcmd.exe list vdir
- IIS7.x: The installer does not properly configure the mapviewernet, dotnetviewersample and dotnetsamples directories as IIS applications if you enable such features in the installer. Workaround is to manually create these applications with IIS manager afterwards.
- #1984: An asp.net security setting prevents selection XML from being set from the .net viewer. The current workaround is to add the following line to web.config for the mapviewernet directory under the <system.web> configuration section:
<httpRuntime requestValidationMode="2.0" />
- PHP Viewer and Developer's Guide samples will not work if the PHP viewer feature is not enabled. Likewise for .net and Java. Nothing in the installer will prevent you from making such a choice.
- For the IIS configuration or Apache configuration with a custom http port, you will have to update the WFS and WMS server name configuration properties via the MapGuide Site Administrator after installation if you intend to use such features. This is currently set to localhost:8008 for both.
- #1985: 32-bit IIS configuration does not work on 64-bit windows. To fix this, set the "Enable 32-bit applications" property to true on the IIS application pool that is created by the installer.
- We have used a non-standard binary build of Apache/PHP to produce this installer, as a result some PHP extensions and Apache modules may not be available.
RFC 110 A new API for rendering performance profiling
RFC 114 A new API for transaction save points
New Server Configuration (serverconfig.ini) Options
RFC 122 introduces the MentorDictionaryPath? configuration property, which is the first place MapGuide Server will look for the coordinate system dictionary files. The MENTOR_DICTIONARY_PATH environment variable will be used instead if the specified path in serverconfig.ini does not exist
New Web Configuration (webconfig.ini) Options
RFC 122 introduces the MentorDictionaryPath? configuration property, which is the first place the MapGuide Web Tier will look for the coordinate system dictionary files. The MENTOR_DICTIONARY_PATH environment variable will be used instead if the specified path in webconfig.ini does not exist
The installer requires at least 1.5GB of disk space on C: during installation. Otherwise installation may not proceed.
If you do not have sufficient space on C:, you can open the installer file with 7-zip and extract the contents to another drive, and run the extracted setup.exe from there. It may also be helpful to set your TEMP environment variable to a different drive.