WORK IN PROGRESS
Proposal number : MVC framework
|Assigned to release||to be determined|
|Resources||??? Indicate if the required resources are available to complete the proposal|
Short description of the improvement proposal. ...
- Type: GUI Change, Core Change, Module Change, Guideline and project governance procedures, ...
- App: GeoNetwork
- Module: eg. Harvester, Kernel, Data Manager, Metadata Import, Lucene Index, Search Interface ...
- Framework Comparisons: Java Frameworks Comparison 2005, Frameworks in Google searches 2008, Frameworks Comparison Discussion 2008
- Other wiki discussions:
- Vote proposed by X on Y, result was +/-n (m non-voting members).
The current configuration is .... A change to ....
GeoNetwork uses Jeeves as an MVC framework. This is considered undesirable, because Jeeves is a very unknown framework anmongst Java/J2EE developers, and it is poorly documented. This page discusses some options to replace Jeeves by some other framework.
The all-time most popular MVC framework for Java no doubt has been Struts (i.e., Struts-1); it was one of the first open source frameworks that were widely adapted by companies throughout the world and it still has the largest share of developers with experience in it.
As it was one of the first, Struts-1 suffered from various drawbacks that since then have been addressed by a plethora of other frameworks. We'll discuss what seems to be the best-known among these: Struts-2 (formerly known as Webwork), Spring MVC, and Seam.
.. to be continued ..
An in depth proposal can be found here : link ...
Backwards Compatibility Issues
- List of participants and role (if necessary) in current GIP