|Version 13 (modified by normanb, 5 years ago)|
RFC 24: GDAL Progressive Data Support
Author: Norman Barker
To provide an interface for data streaming support to GDAL by overloading the RasterIO function to include a callback function when there are buffer updates. The RFC focuses on JPIP but should be generic to apply to other streaming / progressive formats.
JPIP: JPEG 2000 Interactive Protocol
To provide a callback function to allow users of a progressive format driver to receive notifications of updates to the underlying dataset for a particular requested region of the data. The notification mechanism should be accessible to all the swig wrappers.
The implementation is a definition of an interface, in particular an overloaded function definition for RasterIO. Concrete implementations of this interface will follow. Currently the most convenient JPIP streaming developer library is Kakadu however since GDAL is also developer library, only stubs can be distributed to conform to Kakadu licensing (JP2KAK). Commercial vendors are also interested in using GDAL for streaming support and a standard interface will allow these commercial plugins to be incorporated. e.g. ECW, MrSID.
Proposed Progressive Streaming Sequence of Events
Sequence shows GDALDataset, same sequence for GDALRasterBand
- progressive.jpg (153.6 KB) - added by normanb 5 years ago.
- class.2.png (8.3 KB) - added by normanb 5 years ago.
- class.png (8.2 KB) - added by normanb 5 years ago.
- sequence.png (37.3 KB) - added by normanb 4 years ago.
- gdalsequence.PNG (124.3 KB) - added by normanb 4 years ago.
- components.PNG (11.9 KB) - added by normanb 4 years ago.
- demoviewer.PNG (96.3 KB) - added by normanb 4 years ago.